Auto enrolment has addressed participation and coverage issues for many traditionally employed workers. But for those working in self-employment, now a growing demographic around the world, the current auto enrolment mechanism does not usually apply.
We’re leading a programme of research, supported by the Department for Work and Pensions, to understand the low levels of saving seen among self-employed people and to test a range of approaches to encourage and enable retirement saving in a way that fits with their context and meets their needs.
Previous to this, Nest Insight conducted research in 2018 with i2 media research, Britain Thinks and the RSA to bring together existing evidence with new qualitative research into:
- the long-term saving needs and challenges these self-employed groups might have
- the different types of self-employed journey
- the potential touch points at which long-term saving might be encouraged.
About our live research programme
Our research trials are aiming to test whether certain types of intervention can increase the likelihood that self-employed people will save for the long-term. As part of this, we’re testing different forms of messaging and savings options, and exploring behavioural ‘nudges’ that can be introduced into existing systems and online platforms that the self-employed already use to manage their work and finances.
Our research programme involves:
- A literature review of published evidence on what works in prompting voluntary take-up of pensions and long-term savings.
- Qualitative exploration and development of a set of messaging concepts designed to encourage pension saving and ideas for mechanisms that could enable saving.
- Quantitative research to better understand the savings behaviours and interactions of self-employed people with different online platforms and to further test the appetite for different mechanisms for facilitating retirement saving.
- Messaging trials: to test the effectiveness of different message frames with different self-employed populations, drawn from IPSE’s membership and Nest members.
- Technology based trials: to test the attractiveness and effectiveness of different ‘set and forget’ mechanisms as well as a range of default product and contribution options, by partnering with platforms and services used by self-employed people.
About our programme partner
The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is responsible for welfare, pensions and child maintenance policy. As the UK’s biggest public service department it administers the State Pension and a range of working age, disability and ill health benefits to around 20 million claimants and customers. For more information, visit: gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-work-pensions
Our research reports
- The impact of Covid-19 on self-employed peoples saving outlook (PDF) Published December 2020
- Talking with self-employed people about retirement saving (PDF) Published September 2020
- Talking with self-employed people about retirement saving: Technical report (PDF) Published September 2020
- Supporting self-employed people to save for retirement (PDF) Published October 2019
- Supporting self-employed people to save for retirement: Technical report (PDF) Published November 2019
- Working for today, preparing for tomorrow: the realities of self-employment and saving (PDF) Published December 2018
- Retirement saving and the self-employed (PDF) Published May 2018
- Innovative pilots explore flexible ways for self-employed people to save for retirement (Press release) Published December 2021
- How has Covid-19 impacted self-employed people’s saving attitudes and behaviours? (Online event) Published December 2020
- Appetite for self-employed saving solutions remains high, despite impact of Covid-19 (Press release) Published December 2020
- Nest Insight and DWP Covid-19 impact research to inform design of savings solutions for the self-employed (Press release) Published September 2020
- Talking with self-employed people about retirement saving (Video) Published September 2020
- Solutions for the self-employed: building the evidence base (Blog) Published March 2020
- Supporting the self-employed to save for retirement (Press release) Published October 2019
- Self-employment and pension saving: testing what works (Blog) Published December 2018
- Nest Insight moves towards trialling long-term saving solutions for the self-employed (Press release) Published October 2018
- How can we help increase long-term saving among the self-employed? (Guest blog) Published October 2018
- Retirement saving and the self-employed (Blog) Published May 2018