Save the date for this year’s NEST Insight conference
In February this year, auto enrolment’s staging period came to an end. Thanks to the initiative, over 9 million people are now newly saving, or saving more, for their retirement. The UK’s participation rate in second pillar retirement saving is the highest it’s ever been, and it’s also now one of the highest among voluntary systems the world over.
Auto enrolment is an intervention built on insights. It’s one of the largest public policy implementations of ‘Nudge’ in the UK or beyond. It’s created an incredible platform on which we can build, and from which to identify and address the next set of challenges – focusing narrowly on pension policy or exploring more broadly how pension saving sits within the wider financial lives of workers.
The 2018 NEST Insight conference brings together academics, policy-makers and industry to address the question of what these challenges are. Together, we’ll begin to identify solutions that can be tested and move us towards the next wave of insight-led interventions to improve retirement income adequacy for the defined contribution (DC) generation.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Shlomo Benartzi, professor at the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) Anderson School of Management
- Charlotte Clark, director of private pensions and stewardship, Department for Work and Pensions
- Baroness Jeannie Drake
- Conor D’Arcy, senior research and policy analyst, Resolution Foundation
- Anandi Mani, professor at the Blavatnik School of Government, Oxford University
- David Mitchell, associate director of policy and market solutions, The Aspen Institute
- Anne Lester, head of retirement solutions, J.P. Morgan Asset Management
- Avni Shah, assistant professor at the Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto
- Steve Utkus, principal and director, Vanguard Center for Investor Research
Further speakers to be announced.
This year’s NEST Insight conference will be taking place in Central London on Thursday 28 June 2018, 9am to 6pm. If you’d like to attend, please get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org
NEST Insight conference 2017: beyond longevity
Last year’s NEST Insight conference moved beyond the headlines to explore what longevity means for the ‘defined contribution generation’. Global leaders from the worlds of academia, public policy and the pensions industry explored:
- What does later life look like for those people, largely on lower-to-middle incomes, whose retirement income will depend on defined contribution pensions?
- What challenges and opportunities will shape their long-term financial well-being?
- What does an ‘optimal’ mix of savings products and behaviours look like for this group as they pick their way through competing calls on their income?
Slides from the conference